Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Pattern making

I first tried to draft my own patterns whilst we were living in India in part because I didn't have easy access to commercial patterns. I bought a couple of books, scoured the internet for tutorials, and soon realised that I actually enjoyed the process. It took longer to make a finished piece from start to finish but I found it to be very fulfilling. Besides, I often have to tweak commercial patterns to get a good fit anyway.

Pattern making

Now that I am back in the U.S., I have all kinds of commercial patterns in my possession but I still find myself wanting to draft my own. I've borrowed several books from the library and have been playing around with miniature sized blocks.

Pattern making

I'm not entirely sure where this process is going but I'd like to at least draft a basic pattern set for myself and see how that goes. So far I haven't spent as much time on it as I'd like but I'm going to try to work on it more.

In other news, I've finished quite a few sewing projects that I hope to write about soon, so stay tuned. In the meanwhile, enjoy the leap day!

1 comment:

  1. I have "How to make sewing patterns" (McCunn) also. Have you had any luck at all? I tried a shirt but found that taking some of the measurements(Diagonal down your back) on myself posed to be a small problem.

    ReplyDelete