Thursday, August 18, 2011
I refashioned another of my husband's shirts recently. This one is from a store in India that mainly features cottons and linens in their collection. The fabric is very soft and summery, and I was quite excited to convert it into something to fit my wardrobe.
I had less fabric to work with this time around - an Indian extra-large is a lot smaller than an Eddie Bauer large-tall.
I followed the same steps as I did for my last refashion. The part I found tricky was trying to incorporate the shirt's shoulder/back detail, since I didn't want the cut-out to appear misplaced on my shirt, but I think it turned out well.
Like the last time, the sleeves are my favourite part! I used the original cuff to make tabs so that I can wear the sleeves rolled up or down.
Like my previous refashion, I didn't shorten the shirt at all, and used the original hem. I left the back longer, used French seams, and finished the neck with bias tape made with left over bits of the sleeves. All-in-all, a refashion success, me thinks!
Friday, August 12, 2011
After I made my first Sorbetto top, I had planned other versions but we haven't had much sun in Paris this summer. So by the time I got down to making a second one, I had all but forgotten the design elements I had wanted to incorporate.
I had envisioned converting the original pattern to a racer back, but the only thing I did differently was curve the armholes in a little bit, add length in the body, and leave out the front pleat. I cut out a small pocket for the front but ultimately decided to leave it out since it was lost in the floral pattern of the fabric. I had wanted to make a curved hem but by the time I got to it, I forgot and cut a regular hem! I guess I was in a hurry to wear my new shirt before the sun disappeared!
Thanks to my husband for taking the photos.